Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The book is out!


You can use the links on the right to get yourself a copy! The printed book was up for a second on Amazon, but they're combining it with the Kindle in their database, so they say it will take 3-5 days to show up again.

Get it on Createspace now because I make a couple more bucks there! USE THIS DISCOUNT CODE TO MAKE IT CHEAPER THAN AMAZON! 4NVJLQWN

And hey, here's some transparency about the cost and whatnot. Amazon probably wouldn't want me to tell you this, but there's no non-disclosure in there so what the hey!

Amazon tells you the minimum that you can sell your printed book for. They say it's the amount of money it will cost them to print it for you. In my case, it's expensive because it's full color,  180 pages and 8.5 by 11.

Wanna know how much I make for every printed book I sell on Amazon for $27.95? I make $3.42 per book. CRAZY, right? I make around $6 if you buy it off of Createspace. It's because Amazon charges some ridiculous rates per page on color books.

As far as the Kindle, which I set the price for, I get 35% of the $19.95 cover price. Amazon keeps 65%. Seems a little high, but they sorta rule the market. You can go with their 70% author royalty rate, but that's only for books that are $9.99 and under, AND you must be enrolled in their Kindle Select program which lets people who are enrolled in the program read your book for free. Worse yet, you pay an electronic delivery rate per MB on your book, and it would be steep on my book since there are so many pictures.

But I never really started the book to make a ton of money. It was a labor of love, since I've loved Halloween all my life. A long time ago I made a web site with a few little tidbits, and when I stumbled across it again about two years ago the thought occurred...why don't I expand it, put in the things I want to see in a book, a lot of the interesting facts and pictures.

Around 14-16 months ago I started the book. Most of the actual work involved clearing the pictures used(making sure I could legally print them) and organizing, as well as learning InDesign, the program I used to create it.

Anyway, I hope you get the book and enjoy it, and I'd appreciate any reviews you could post on Amazon. They really help sell the book, so it's a big deal to authors.

Keep an eye out here, because I'll keep posting any interesting Halloween-related tidbits I find.

Like this! It's currently up on eBay, and I remember a friend who wore this one Halloween. The "hairy scary" Kiss mask!




Also thanks to Emma for showing me this. What it is, I'm not sure. But it's amusing...

No comments:

Post a Comment